Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Double Entry Journal #5

Reverent listening in teaching is a teacher who truly respects their students but also gets respect from them. Reverent listening can support culturally responsive teaching because it promotes the valuing of everyone's opinion. Any cultural capital a student may have will be brought to the forefront and valued. The quote "Reverent listening is not to be confused with humiliation and domination by others who force us to listen,and even less so, with the kind of incompetence that wants to be told what to do". shows what Reverent listening is not. Reverent listening actually promotes all to speak and listen and for no one person to dominate. Most teachers that show traits of a reverent teacher are teachers I have had in college. I hate talking in classes but these teachers made me believe my opinion was valuable and I found myself wanted to participate in discussions because I felt     that my ideas were an asset to the entire class. Factors that contribute to "toxic" school culture are a culture that is dominated by one, silencing the rest, and one that makes students feel as if their opinions and ideas are not valued. While I do not have a specific quote from the article I plan on incorporating many of the traits mentioned in the article. One section that sticks out was the one that focused on knowledge. IN that section the article goes over how many people view things differently and as a teacher it is very important for you to see how you students view things rather than to simply teach to your own view. The article had some great ideas that all teachers should incorporate into their plans as a teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment